Southern Company Associate Gas Controller in Atlanta, Georgia
Associate Gas Controller
The purpose for this position is responsible for maintaining the safety, integrity, and reliability for the Pipeline Company’s real-time operations of gas transmission and distribution systems. This position is responsible for ensuring operational compliance with federal, state, local, and company rules and regulations.
• Support the safe and efficient operations of the Pipeline Company’s transmission and storage system at all times.
• Monitor all alarms and respond to such alarms following the established protocol, including documentation and call-out procedures and if needed seek direction from a Controller or Senior Controller to determine level of escalation.
• Identify and examine changes to transmission and storage operating conditions via the use of SCADA data and other operational tools using use operational skills and experience to make the correct, efficient, required operational changes and if needed seek direction from a Controller or Senior Controller to resolve issues and implement required operational changes.
• Examine and troubleshoot SCADA, communications and electronic gas measurement systems issues, as well as issues with various operating tools used by the Control Room and if needed seek direction from a Controller or Senior Controller to determine level of escalation
• Responsible for ensuring all defined processes and procedures relating directly to Control Room Management are followed daily to ensure federal pipeline regulations are within compliance.
• Document all relevant operational information in Gas Control Log shift notes system during the shift.
• Assist in the planning and managing of transmission, distribution, and storage (off system and on system peaking) operations to ensure the operational integrity of the pipeline and storage systems, provide consistent and reliable service and maximize available capacities and revenues.
• Planned Outage - Assist in the planning and evaluation of facility outages.
• Unplanned Outage - Assist in reacting to unscheduled outages and contingency planning around event
Business Acumen :
• Analyze, review, and publish accurate data for all internal and external reporting requirements. (i.e. EIA Reports, Pipeline vs. SCADA measurements, Daily Operations Report, Daily Send-out Report, Daily Odorization Log, and other various reports as assigned)
• Assist in creating, updating, finalizing, and distributing the daily demand forecast for operational balancing of supply to all internal and external parties (i.e. supply managers, asset management, external marketers)
• Assist in development of multiple day supply/demand that support gas purchasing, storage/plant operations, 3rd party nominations and system operations.
• Respond to and effectively communicate system emergencies
• Effectively answer internal & external customer questions in a timely courteous manner seeking assistance as needed from Controller or Senior Controller
• Maintain a positive attitude, respect, and promote a learning environment conducive within the control room.
• Assist to coordinate and conveys the daily operation plan for the distribution of scheduled pipeline supplies, storage and peaking assets, and power generation to meet market demand.
• Assist on complex, non-routine system operations.
• Various other duties as assigned by the Controllers, Senior Controllers or Manager.
• Demonstrate continuous improvement within the areas of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform job role.
• Assist in the development of the supply plans efficiently in accordance with contingencies throughout the shift in a non-discriminatory manner and makes adjustments as warranted to meet increases or decreases in demand on an hourly basis and if needed seeks direction from a Controller or Senior Controller.
• Completes all defined requirements within context of day check list for assigned area.
• Assist in the daily planning for determining the availability of excess capacity based on current operational parameters.
• High School Diploma or GED and 2 years in gas distribution or related experience
• Basic understanding of pipeline hydraulics (flows, pressures, cause/effect)
o BA/BS degree in related discipline and 3 years of progressive gas operations background including distribution/transmission pipeline operations
o SCADA – intermediate proficiency
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
o Intermediate Proficiency – Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint
o Ability to work effectively in a team environment
o Ability to multi-task
• Demonstrated problem solving, verbal, and written communication skills
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• This position requires a twelve hour rotating shift in a control room (confined environment)
• Infrequent Traveler (0-5% travel): The incumbent may be required to travel on a very limited basis. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• This position requires the ability to think reason and make supervisory level decisions in high stress situations and a fast paced environment.
• This position requires the ability to perform all duties with upper management observing job functions during critical operating periods.
• This position requires the ability to function in an environment of direct scrutiny of delivered results by company officers, marketers and business partners.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Atlanta Gas Light
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2003697