Southern Company Billing Account Specialist I in Atlanta, Georgia
Billing Account Specialist I
The purpose of the Billing Account Specialist I position is to provide billing services for multiple GAS companies (both regulated and non-regulated). Services provided include but are not limited to: billing large industrial and commercial accounts (major accounts), infrastructure damages, third party suppliers, customer account maintenance, and billing verification. Responsibilities also include ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws (including SOX), regulations and ordinances; unclaimed property filings and process, maintaining regulatory relationships; developing and meeting key performance indicators and regulatory service levels.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Records basic accounting transactions via journal entries.
• Performs general ledger account reconciliations; analyzes, researches and resolves outstanding items/issues.
• Monitors reports/accounts/expenses; makes adjustments as necessary without prior approval.
• Works with customers (internal and external) to resolve problems; answers questions and provides recommendations on behalf of management.
• Calculates, reviews, and analyzes financial information relating to specialty areas (e.g., billing/ customer accounting, vendor accounting, general ledger, cash accounting).
• Generates standard and non-standard reports; analyzes reports and provides recommendations.
• Serves as PeopleSoft/Oracle primary support and power-user for department.
• Serves as subject matter expert, reviews work flow processes; provides continuous process improvement suggestions.
• Develops training materials/guidebooks and performs internal customer training related to Southern Company Gas procedures and internal controls.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• BA/BS degree in Accounting
• 2 to 4-year experience analyzing accounting activities
• Equivalent academic education and experience
• Advance working knowledge of accounting, corporate finance, analysis and reporting, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Attention to detail
• Data entry management
• General math skills
• Analytical and judgment skills
• Demonstrated time management, planning, and prioritization ability
• Excellent interpersonal skills and comfortability interacting with internal and external customers and stakeholders
• PeopleSoft Financials - intermediate proficiency
• MS Word – intermediate proficiency
• MS Excel - intermediate proficiency
• Executing for Results
• Collaboration and Building Relationships
• Learning and Thinking
• Industry Knowledge/Business Acumen
• Honoring Corporate Values & Standards
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Keyboarding = 80-85%
• Viewing reports and information on-line = 80-85%
• Travel = 5%
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2002104