Southern Company Compressed Natural Gas Technician in Atlanta, Georgia
Compressed Natural Gas Technician
As a Compressed Natural Gas Technician, you will be responsible for maintain, repair, and troubleshoot Compressed Natural Gas station compressors, natural gas dryers, dispensers, and other associated equipment. Including electrical gear and programmable controls for company owned and external Natural Gas Vehicle refueling facilities.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Adept with compressor knowledge and possesses the ability to perform diagnostic procedures.
• Orders Compressed Natural Gas station replacement parts, researches vendor options via the internet.
• Maintains both electronic and hard copies of daily records, enters service work performed, tracks parts expenses and labor hours, documents maintenance performed and logs customer calls.
• Comprehends and implements manufacturer maintenance policies and procedures.
• Analyzes complex Compressed Natural Gas failures, determines corrective action and completes the repair.
• Strong customer service skills, requires direct interaction with the customer.
• Builds and maintains credibility with the customer by providing competitively priced preventive maintenance for Compressed Natural Gas facilities, minimizing the possibility of downtime.
• Responds to emergency Compressed Natural Gas calls, providing 24/7/365, on-call technical and repair assistance.
• Provides administrative staff with all required documentation and transactions related to purchases and O&M procedures.
• Responds to gas leaks, makes necessary repairs or “makes safe” until assistance arrives.
• Creates new revenue streams with current and existing customers though the offering of new services.
• Optimizes productivity by following recommended repair procedures and being a contributing member of a technical team.
• Maintains a safe work environment and follows recommended procedures to eliminate on the job accidents and/or injuries.
• Legal authorization to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer without requiring visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
• High School diploma or GED equivalent.
• Technical School diploma
• Factory training certificate from ANGI, Bauer, JW Power, Gilbarco, Tulsa Gas Technologies, or Wayne
Related Work Experience:
• Two to four years of Compressed Natural Gas Refueling station and PLC programming experience.
• Three to five years of automotive, industrial, or military mechanical experience that includes electrical troubleshooting.
• Prior experience maintaining and troubleshooting compressed natural gas refueling station equipment.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Ability to schedule and perform required maintenance activities without direct supervision.
• Electric circuits and programmable logic controls.
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
• Specific knowledge of Ariel and Bauer CNG compressors.
• Specific knowledge of Allen Bradley, Horner, and Siemens programmable logic controllers.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
Certifications / Licenses:
• Valid Driver’s License
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements :
• This position frequently requires prolonged standing.
• Ability to participate in a rotating on-call schedule (every third week). You must be able to hit response times (specified by contract) 100% of the time. You may be required to work limited overtime.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to reach above shoulder level.
• This position frequently requires the incumbent to bend, kneel or crouch.
• This position requires the ability to lift 50 pounds.
• This position requires a pre-employment routine physical.
• The incumbent will work near or with moving parts, be exposed to fumes, air borne particles or chemicals.
• The incumbent will be exposed to excessive noise and varying weather conditions.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
Atlanta Service Center - 576 Northside Dr. (576AtlantaCODE)
576 Northside Dr.
Req ID: GAS2001920