Southern Company Controls Specialist in Riverdale, Georgia
This position will be located in our Riverdale, GA Plant.
The purpose of this position is to perform installation and maintenance activities associated with field measurement instrumentation, advanced real-time data communication, and SCADA control to ensure optimum system operation and reliability. Responsible for quick response to system outages 24/7 and perform field repairs to rectify issues with RF, land-line, cellular, or WPLS communication systems. Responsible performing scheduled calibration tests to ensure field instrumentation, real-time controls and SCADA equipment are performing reliable and to manufacturer specifications, Company standards and regulatory guidelines. Auxiliary duties include maintenance of electronic controls and equipment associated with Odorizers, electronic chart recorders, tap heaters, chromatographs, transmitters, phone modems and RTUs.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair data communication systems using radio, landline, and cellular technology.
• Ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair data field communication auxiliary equipment such as radio antennas, modems, routers, and poll servers.
• Ability to install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair SCADA RTU field equipment.
• Ability to install, maintain, and calibrate field transmitters such as flow, pressure, and temperature units.
• Conduct point to point commissioning of SCADA equipment with Gas Control to verify date accuracy.
• Document work through as-building and activity logging.
• Review and comment on station designs and control panel layout.
• Inspect and oversee 3rd party electrical contractor work.
• Design simple electrical power and controls networks at transmission and storage stations.
• Research, evaluate and recommend new SCADA technology, tools and test equipment.
• Understands industry (AGA, SGA, etc.) calibration procedures as they relate to measurement and SCADA devices.
• Ability to self-prioritize and organize daily work assignments and regional requirements.
• Ability to analyze and interpret data to resolve issues and make process changes.
• Propose tactical direction of compliance related tasks.
• Collaborate with Gas Control and Real-time System Support to design and configure RTU’s.
• Collaborate and engage numerous internal departments to meet company goals and build cohesive relationships.
• Coordinate with pipeline and measurement field personnel to correct measurement issues.
• Initiate work tickets to resolve issues that are identified in the field for repair.
• Guide peers in best practices for design and troubleshooting.
• Execute departmental metrics.
• Ensure all regulatory requirements are met.
• Establish and maintain repair/replacement parts inventory.
• Audit field equipment as needed and maintain records of equipment when replaced, installed or removed.
• Assist in developing and reviewing best practices.
• Associates or 2-year technical degree and/or 3 years equivalent LDC operations experience working in a SCADA/Controls department.
• Associates or 2-year technical degree in electronics
Related Work Experience:
• 3 years working with instrumentation and SCADA controls specifically in field calibrations and troubleshooting
• Experience working with data communication protocols i.e. WPLS, modems, land-lines, Modbus, IP, etc.
• Experience in SCADA field controls design, installation and maintenance.
• Experience working with Fisher ROC or Bristol RTU/PLC.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Ability to use personal computer
• Demonstrated ability in the calibration and testing of instrumentation and SCADA control equipment using test equipment
• Demonstrated ability in the installation and startup of new SCADA/control sites
• Working in a team environment
• Radio/RF, TCIP addressing, SCADA addressing.
• Verbal and written communication skills – highly competent.
• Reading Comprehension – highly competent.
• Trouble shooting and problem analysis.
• Using and interpreting electronic instruments and tools to determine existing conditions for troubleshooting.
• As-building for pre and post design documentation.
• Basic electrical distribution (12Volt, 24 Volt, 110 Volt).
• Electronic Controls Design (4 – 20 ma, 1 – 5 volts).
• Reading and understanding electrical line diagrams and wiring schematics.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise people.
• Complete understanding of all aspects of measurement principles and application to control circuits.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Infrequent Traveler (0-5% travel).
• The incumbent works in field.
• This position requires the ability to lift 25-50 pounds.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Riverdale
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
Riverdale LNG - 7790 Hwy 85 (7790RiverdaleCODE)
7790 Hwy 85
Req ID: GAS2001178