Southern Company Supervisor - Superintendent, System Operations in Shorewood, Illinois
Supervisor - Superintendent, System Operations
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Responsible for overseeing the successful operation and maintenance of gas transmission mains and regulation infrastructure.
• Responsible to Prepare/Check/Approve routines for main tie in and complex facility installation or retirements.
• Responsible for maintaining adequate system pressures, system chart reviews and ensuring timely corrective action.
• Directs and manages emergency response effort within a defined area
• Responsible for overseeing and auditing compliance records to ensure complete, accurate and taking timely action to correct any anomalies to ensure compliance requirements are met.
• Accountable for driving field decision-making and scheduling, internal and/or external service providers and support departments and external agencies to ensure that work is performed as planned, permitted and scheduled.
• Responsible for maintaining compliance with local, state and federal regulations, overseeing and auditing compliance records to ensure complete, accurate and taking timely action to correct any anomalies to ensure compliance requirements are met.
• Coordinates ongoing OQ training as needed, ensuring all newly promoted employees receive appropriate training and qualifications in appropriate areas.
• Responsible for ensuring employees have proper tools and equipment to perform duties.
• Responsible for driving safety, quality, and workmanship.
• Responsible for execution and delivery of projects on time and on budget.
• Ensures equipment is in good working condition and facilitates the repair of damaged equipment.
• Responsible for ensuring specialty regulator parts and tapping tool equipment is available.
• Sets performance expectations and direction for direct internal reports within a functional or area of responsibility.
• Responsible for partnering with multiple departments to determine and ensure resource, tool and maintenance techniques meet demand.
• Responsible for monitoring monthly annual capital and operating expense spend and implements cost control within a functional and/or geographical area.
• Responsible for identifying areas for process improvements or best practices and making recommendations.
• Responsible for enhancing productivity of direct reports through training, motivation and performance coaching.
• Responsible for maintaining customer satisfaction through timely and thorough communication with peer departments, municipalities and other governmental agencies.
• Instill corporate values and personal responsibility into workgroup.
• Responsible for monitoring work goals and objectives for safety, quality, cost management, productivity and customer service. Measures employee performance for safety, quality and productivity.
• Responsible for driving change and coaching and developing staff through effective feedback and performance evaluation.
• Responsible for creating and implementing improved processes and techniques to enhance operating environment
• Responsible for leading assigned business plan initiatives.
• BA/BS degree or 6 yrs. experience in gas utility operations
• BS construction or engineering
Related Work Experience:
• Previous Gas Transmission Pipeline and Station experience.
• Previous technical knowledge in operation and maintenance of both regulators, heaters, and odorizors.
Specific Skills& Knowledge:
• Valid driver’s license
• Read and interrupt project design plans – proficiency.
• Size regulator and reliefs – proficiency.
• Emergency response knowledge and action planning.
• Written and verbal communication.
• Technical skill sets.
• Gas construction and operating principles.
• Critical thinking process and identifying effective solutions.
• Geographic Information System (GIS) or comparable system - intermediate proficiency.
• PeopleSoft Financials - intermediate proficiency.
• MS Outlook, Excel, Word and Access - intermediate proficiency.
• System modeling evaluation.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Working on various job sites and excessive driving up to four (4) hours at a time
• Potential for occasional overnight travel
• On-call as needed
• Hot and cold temperatures, rain and snow
• Lifting up to 50 pounds
• Loud noises
• Ability smell natural gas
• Large machines and tools
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Shorewood
Operating Company: Nicor Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
1111 Cottage St. (1111ShorewoodCODE)
1111 Cottage St.
Req ID: GAS2001675